Sunday, November 16, 2014

Antique Columbus, GA Postcards - Correspondence Between Two Sisters From 1909

Yesterday I went to a parking lot sale at The Gypsy Cherub antique store in what used to be Bibb City, GA (now part of Columbus). I saw some old Columbus postcards being advertised on Facebook, so I went down there early to make sure they were still there. And boy did Yvonne still have them! Postcards from Columbus, Americus, Atlanta, and all over Georgia with Alabama and Florida hiding in there as well.

Well, when I was looking through the postcards, I was mostly looking for familiar landmarks and landscapes of Columbus that held sentimental value, or at least offered artistic or historical value. However, after getting home and looking through them all, I discovered the true value was actually Dovie Smith and Elizabeth Smith - two sisters that corresponded via Columbus, GA postcards in the summer and fall of 1909.

I have taken the liberty of scanning both back and front of the postcards, as well as transcribing what is written on the postcards for easier reading. In addition, I have placed the cards in chronological order of correspondence. This required me finding a calendar from 1909, as two of the postcards are postmarked on the same day. I tried to leave the grammar and punctuation as accurate as possible.

I just wonder who were Miss Dovie Smith and Miss Elizabeth Smith? What was there story? I hope to further research these two women and possibly find more of their wonderful postcards. 

Postcard #1


Beech Grove, North Highlands Park, Columbus, GA.


To: Miss Dovie Smith
From: Miss Elizabeth Smith

"Chipley, GA 8/9/09

Dear Dovie, 
I reached here alright and am still at Aunt Nannies. We went to a singing yesterday afternoon and stayed until train time and we then went up to White S Springs and came back on the night train, had a very nice time. 
                                                   E. Smith"



Postcard #2


Chattahoochee Rapids, North Highlands Park, Columbus, GA


To: Miss Dovie Smith
From: Miss Elizabeth Smith

"Chipley, GA 8/13/09

Dear Dovie, 
How are you all getting along by this time I am at Jennies Williams have been here since Wednesday morning am going back to Chipley in the morning and (Gene?) and I are going Aunt Ellen's to spend Saturday night and Sunday. Will see you all soon.
                                                                 E. Smith"



Postcard #3


Eagle and Phenix (Phoenix) Mills, Columbus, GA

To: Miss Dovie Smith
From: Miss Elizabeth Smith

"Monday Morning
Well, I came out here at Uncle Pinkes Saturday afternoon and I guess I will stay a day or two. They are running the meeting at Beech Springs this week. I expect I will be home before long but don't know exactly when so you need not look for me until you see me. 
                                                                                                   E. S.



Postcard #4


 Lower Broad St. showing Confederate Monument, Golumbus, GA
(Broad Street is now known as Broadway)


To: Miss Lizzie (Elizabeth) Smith
From: Miss Dovie Smith

"Dear Sister: -
Received your postal Saturday, and we were glad to hear from you and that you are having such a nice time. I wrote you last week, thought you were still at Jennies. Love to all,
                                                                                                           "Dovie".



Bonus - Postcard #5


Wildwood Park, Columbus, GA
(I don't believe Wildwood Park still has ponds.)


To: Miss Dovie Smith
From: C. R.

"I received your card Monday would of answered sooner but didn't have any cards. I may be over at the (Jens?) (Gens?) Thursday night if nothing happens. hope to see you.
                                                                                  your friend C. R."

1 comment:

  1. Those are really lovely! You might consult the addresses through old city directories and you may be able to find out more from those. The Genealogy Room at the Public Library has a full run of directories, I believe.

    ReplyDelete