Thursday, July 21, 2011

Ugly Old Female Names.




I absolutely hate little old lady names. At first, I thought I hated the connotations of racism, homophobia, prejudice, and general "old people" ideas of yesteryear the names brought up.

But then I started thinking more and more about it. Even if these names were given to the most beautiful teen and young twenty-something girls, they would still sound ugly.

  • Gertrude
  • Gretchen
  • Ethel
  • Gladys
  • Agnes
  • Bertha
  • Martha
  • Delores
  • Mildred
  • Edna
  • Bessie
  • Myrtle
  • Hazel
  • Ruth
  • Prunella
  • Margaret (or worse...Marjorie)
Some of these names are just awful. I used to think Elizabeth was dry and ugly, but Elizabeth is nothing compared to these horrendous offenders!

[image source]: Wikipedia Commons


    1 comment:

    1. Gertrude, Ethel, Gladys, Agnes, Bertha, Mildred, Edna, Myrtle and Prunella are some of my favourites. I can definitely see why people might dislike them, but I'd pick any one of them over your typical Nevaeh, Sophia, Paisleigh, Skylyn, and Eden. Now those names are tacky!

      ReplyDelete